Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Waiting for Autumn

I know, I know, fall doesn't officially start for another week or so, but I'm couldn't resist dressing the blog up in her autumn colors a bit early!

Autumn is by far my favorite season of the year. (Fun fact: if Wyatt had been a girl, Autumn might very well have been her name.) It really is a shame that we live in Georgia, where the seasons go a little something like: hot, really hot, why is it so hot?!, chilly. I might be exaggerating a little, but sometimes it truly feels like cooler weather will never get here and we'll be stuck in a perpetual heat wave. Even North Georgia gets to see the beautiful changing leaves for more than a couple of weeks, unlike here in Middle Georgia. Ah well. At least I'll get to reflect my love for the season in my food. I'm sure my slow cooker is going to see a lot of use in the coming months - soups, stews, chili, gumbo... the possibilities are endless! I'm also on a mission to make a squash dish that Kenny will like. How can someone not like squash? I will never understand...

I'm beginning to wish that we had planted at least a few herbs and vegetables back in the spring, but with a new baby, we obviously had other things on our minds. Next year, I plan on growing a few herbs (lemon balm, rosemary, lavendar, basil, and anything else that strikes my fancy) as well as trying my hand at growing squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. True, neither I nor Kenny particularly like tomatoes, but their uses are about as endless as my slow cooker's! Garden fresh tomatoes in a homemade spaghetti sauce? Yes, please.

I honestly don't know where this sense of domesticity came from. If you've known me for any length of time, you know I haven't always been like this! People change, I guess.

-Mother Nature Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Fan Mail Here